Thursday, July 27, 2006

Can I hate Mother Nature?

I woke up this morning going about my day as if nothing was wrong... take the dog out etc. On my way out the door my neighbor comes out and asks me "Is your basement flooded?" I say to her, I don't think so, but let me go look... sure enough... it flooded. Granted we did have some heavy rain last night - approximately 3 inches, but I cant believe how bad it flooded. We basically got 3 inches of water into our basement... Doesn't seem like much but we lost a lot of stuff.

Unfortunately, Tommy isn't here so I am having to figure this out myself. Our losses: Christmas cards for this year, futon mattress, rug, Christmas stocking and tree skirt (color ran). Those are the big "in the trash" items, but some others got wet - our entertainment center, my sewing machine, our Christmas tree, Christmas decorations, all my clothing high school memoirs (parka, blanket, letterman jacket), my portable radio, 2 sets of luggage, Tommy's Golf clubs, and so much more.

Unfortunately our losses are not covered under our renters insurance - wouldn't you know, the one thing we need they don't cover. I am at a loss as for what to do, my house smells like mold/mildew even after they sent a carpet cleaner in to extract the water and spray some chemical stuff. I have the stuff from the basement ALL OVER my house and cant really put it back down there, especially now that I know the basements flood. I guess it could be a fluke, but I am just not sure if I want to take that chance again.

The water seems to have come up from the drain for the washer and dryer - I am clueless, but it seems to me that shouldn't happen?

I'm really bummed out seeing as how I had planned to have the house all perfect when Tommy got home so we could have a nice romantic weekend together. *sigh* I guess someone had different plans for me...

No comments: